Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday 11 November 2012

Info Post
The Telegraph recalls a nice (but unlikely) anecdote from Juliet Nicolson's grandfather:
On another occasion the same grandfather had been holidaying in the Alps, walking through the summer mountain flowers with a couple of undergraduate friends. Taking shelter in a log cabin from a sudden cold wind, the young men fell to discussing the author of the novel they were all reading. Had Charlotte Brontë really loved Mr Nicholls, they wondered, or had her father pressed his bachelor curate on an unwilling daughter? An old man who had been sitting unobtrusively in the corner by the fire suddenly stirred. “I can assure you all that Charlotte certainly married Mr Nicholls out of feelings of true love,” he told them sternly. “And I should know the truth, because I am Mr Nicholls.”
As much as we would like such an anecdote to be true it's rather difficult to imagine Arthur Bell Nichols touring the Alps after his retirement in Banagher, Ireland and his remarriage.

Harriet Walker on karaoke nights in The Independent:
If you want to know more about the world you live in, go to a karaoke night. And I say that as someone who is tone-deaf but who, by the end of the proceedings, is convinced her register is both strong and varied enough to attempt "Wuthering Heights" and "Shaft" within minutes of each other.
Probably, the Australian singer and actress Marina Prior would do better on a karaoke night when she tried Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights. In The Age:
When did you first go public?
Busking! I used to sing and dance around in Bourke Street Mall. I would do Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush and then an Elizabethan love song, and then I'd do a bit of Puccini and Ella Fitzgerald. Crazy, eclectic songs. I made really good money. I may go back to it, I think. (Giles Hardie)
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom interviews the writer Maralee Lowder:
Please share a little about yourself, your genres:
Growing up, I read everything I could get my hands on so I was exposed to just about every genre.  Then, as a young teen, I read Jane Eyre, which for many years was my very favorite book. 
Intersections has visited Haworth and the Parsonage; Fly High! talks about the recent talk by Juliet Gael in Rome; Mete D'Inchiostro (in Italian) reviews Agnes GreyMyśli skrzętnie ukryte... (in Polish) posts about Na plebanii w Haworth by Anna Przepełska -Trzeciakowa; Michelle Berardi. Illustration uploads a conceptual illustration inspired by Wuthering Heights; Heavens to Mergatroyd remembers how she created a Jane Eyre waltz for her Jane Eyre 2008 play; Authenticity posts about Jane Eyre.

0 comments:

Post a Comment