Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 14 May 2012

Info Post
The Economist's Prospero has an article on the British Library exhibition Writing Britain:
No section of the show expresses this better than “Wild Places”, which sketches not only the meanings writers find in Britain’s rugged parts, but the power these observations then have on other writers. The Yorkshire moors of Emily Brontë’s “Wuthering Heights” are a kind of “urtext” of British wildness, says Jamie Andrews at the British Library. They inspired much pilgrimage by other writers, including Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes, as Hughes wrote: “The book becoming a map./Wuthering Heights withering into perspective.” (A.C.)
Historian Bettany Hughes 'chooses five books about strong women in history' for the Telegraph. This is her disclaimer:
If you grew up with Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre (1847) as a role model you can’t fail to relish stories of strong women and of the human spirit winning out against horrible odds.
Down under, The Australian reviews the play A Hoax, on stage in Brisbane.
Director Lee Lewis steers a tight first act towards the cliffhanger of Currah's maiden media conference, but from there the focus fades. The closest [Rick] Viede comes to explaining Anthony's actions is to evoke one of Victorian fiction's most famous nom de plumes in Currer Bell. But Anthony isn't Charlotte Brontë, and A Hoax is far from Jane Eyre. (Cameron Pegg)
Bite My Moko interviews writer Charity Norman:
BMM: Did you always want to be a writer? CN: Yes. As a child, I lived in Yorkshire and my father is a vicar – like the Brontë sisters, whose father was also a vicar. My father had seven children and Patrick Brontë had a similar number. I thought I was Emily Brontë as a child. I used to make up really appalling poetry. But, as life went on, I realised I needed a proper career and proper money. I was a barrister for about 15 years or so in the northeast of England. I practised in crime and family, which feed into (Freeing Grace). The book is about adoption and so I was able to use a lot of my experiences in court and experiences with working for local authorities taking children away from their parents or acting for parents attempting to have their children not taken away. All of that has fed into this book and the next and, I suppose, into my life.
An Edmonton Journal blog lists mothers in literature (Jane Eyre's mother is listed under those 'six feet under') and this Midland Daily News columnist agrees with Mr Rochester when he says that Jane must have been 'tenacious of life' growing up in Lowood. Jane Eyre is reviewed by Bibliothèque (in French) and Livros, letras e metas (in Portuguese). Sans Farine posts in French about Wuthering Heights while Boilerdo writes in Portuguese about the afterlife of the novel. Flickr user ga_bs features the novel in a picture. African Angle posts about the Brontës.

0 comments:

Post a Comment