Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 25 June 2012

Info Post
A teenager reviews Wide Sargasso Sea for the Guardian:
In all honesty, this book has left me a little baffled with many questions continuing to go around my head. In fact, I feel like now I need to find a book telling me about her mother's history and how she ended up alone having to marry a man that made her mad.
Is this book saying that love leaves us all crazy and desperate, where we only find out the things we are told? It makes it seem that not telling somebody something is a lie and that we are wrong for doing it. But at the same time, the characters finding things out is what makes them crazy, because they know the truth and know too much. If I could ask the author, I think I would need to know which idea she is trying to plant in the readers mind.
Overall, I'm glad I got it from the charity shop, quite let down and I feel that the story could have been more in depth and done the lady in the attic that Charlotte Brontë created a bit more justice, than what is presented in this short book.
I don't think I'd read it again, but if you have questions about the lady in the attic, give it a read; you may find it different to me and it may resolve all your queries - but for me it didn't hit the mark. (Dannii)
The Spokesman-Review finds a Brontëite in writer Sharma Shields.
Q. Who are the writers who inspired you?
A. As a kid, I read and reread two books: the collected works of Hans Christian Andersen and D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths. As an English literature major at UW, I fell in love with the classics: “Wuthering Heights,” “Frankenstein,” the longer novels of Tolstoy, anything James Joyce (except for “Finnegan’s Wake,” which was a bit too dense for me). (Carolyn Lamberson)
Variety reports that the 2011 screen adaptation of Wuthering Heights will be part of the Munich Film Festival (29 June - 7 July).
In addition to Spotlight, which presents major international premieres and discoveries, other new sections include [...] CineMasters, which screens works by established international filmmakers like Andrea Arnold's "Wuthering Heights" and Leos Carax's Cannes player "Holy Motors." (Ed Meza)
Hollywood.com shares '5 Things to Know About Mia Wasikowska', one of which is the fact that
She's an avid (and good!) photographer. In fact, a picture she took of her Jane Eyre co-star Jamie Bell, and director Cary Fukunaga, was a finalist in an Australian photo competition.
Quisiera ser amanda writes in Spanish about the BBC 2006 adaptation of Jane Eyre.

0 comments:

Post a Comment